Top 15 of 2015
Better late than never, right? Despite my best intentions, I couldn't make the time for an exhaustive "best of the best" beauty post, so here comes a carefully edited version of last year's ultimate makeup and skincare favourites. I've already documented my love for most of these products in my monthly favourites roundups, so if you're a long-term reader, you will surely recognize most of them.
1. Clarins Instant Light Natural Lip Perfector
- I'm not a lipgloss girl, however this Clarins offering is an exception to the rule. Non-sticky, sweet-smelling and extremely moisturizing, this stuff really is a true "lip perfector", as it virtually erases any dry or chapped bits without adding much colour or coverage. Perfect for those "no makeup" makeup days (or any other days, really).
2. NARS Smudge Proof Eyeshadow Base
- 2015 saw me get heavily into eyeshadows, and it's mostly all due to this wondrous product. Until discovering it, I was pretty much convinced that there is no cure for my oily lids. Luckily, I was wrong, as this weightless primer cements everything in place for the whole day.
3. The Beautyblender*
- Never had I thought that a sponge could become a daily feature in my makeup routine. Dubbed as the ultimate foundation application tool by many, this little egg-shaped sponge makes a world of a difference to the finished makeup look, creating an almost soft-focus effect. It amps up the dewiness of any base product, therefore offering a more natural, well-blended finish.
4. Essie Sand Tropez
- After trying out Essie for the first time this year, I was immediately hooked. My nails seem to adore the formula, plus you simply can't fault the wide, well-rounded brush. Sand Tropez is a failproof sandy nude shade, which ends up looking sophisticated without being downright boring.
- Adding to the "no makeup" makeup lineup, MAC's Groundwork is the epitome of effortlessness. Offering a natural finish and a colour that mimics a natural shadow, this eyeshadow has quickly become my go-to when I'm in a rush, as it's barely noticeable yet it adds a little something-something to the whole look.
6. MAC Pro Longwear Concealer
- Long gone are the days of dark circles and pesky blemishes. After discovering this concealer earlier this year, I've become convinced that this really is the best thing since sliced bread. Lightweight in texture, this highly-pigmented product covers everything without a fail, and, most importantly, it stays put throughout the day.
7. OST Original Pure Vitamin C Serum
- For a person who has gone through bouts of hormonal acne for most of my adult life, this product really was a game-changer. It's highly effective for clearing up post-acne scarring and general skin discolouration, while being gentle enough for daily use. After seeing dramatic results in a short period of time, this product has become an integral part of my skincare routine, especially when my skin gets a little bit temperamental.
8. NARS Sheer Glow
- A recent, but already a well-loved discovery, Sheer Glow is worth all the hype it gets. Despite the medium coverage, Sheer Glow feels unbelievably light on my skin, leaving it with a hint of natural glow. This foundation excels in evening out my skin and making things look a little bit brighter than they were before.
9. NYX Micro Brow
- My brows are forever thankful for this product, as it's fine enough to draw in individual hairs and create an illusion of fuller brows. Surprisingly, the colour Ash Brown is a perfect match for me, as it is cool-toned without being straight up grey.
10. MAC Lip Pencil
- After going through the whole brown lip craze earlier this year, MAC's Whirl is the one product that has really stuck with me. Colour-wise, it sits comfortably between beige and brown with a hint of pink thrown into the mix. Overall, it's a great one to pick up if you're not ready to commit to a full-on 90s lip. I must admit, I'm really tempted to get this shade in a lipstick form...
11. Maybelline Color Drama Lipstick
- Sticking to the whole brown lip theme, here comes a lighter, less rosey version of Whirl. For a matte lipstick, it is surprisingly creamy and comfortable to wear on a day-to-day basis. I'm already on my second one - that's how much I love it!
12. NARS Blush
Now, this one is a true gem in a blush form. Sin is a blue-toned, plum blush, which looks incredibly flattering when paired with such lipsticks as MAC's Syrup or Plumful. The subtle shimmer create an illusion of healthy, luminous skin without emphasizing pores or any skin imperfections.
13. Antipodes Aura Honey Manuka Mask
- Almost six months down the line, I'm still utterly smitten with this face mask. Combining moisturizing and clarifying abilities of manuka honey, this heavenly-scented mask offers a deep cleanse without stripping the skin. This one will definitely be a staple in my skincare stash for years to come.
14. Maybelline Lash Sensational Mascara
- Previously I hadn't had the best experience with Maybelline mascaras, however this one managed to firmly establish itself as a definite favourite. This drugstore offering adds tons of volume along with separation, which isn't too dramatic to wear on a daily basis.
15. MAC Blush
- It might not look like much in the pan, but Tenderling is the ultimate lazy girl shade for carving out cheekbones on paler skin. A light dusting provides subtle definition, while a more intense application results in a more contoured look.
What were your favourite products of 2015?